Thread: R171 Slk280 Air Filter Change

Default R171 Slk280 Air Filter Change

As the manual of the car provides little information on how to change the filters I thought I would post a DYI on how to do it.

This will work with any of the 280, 300, or 350 cars and should give you a good idea how other models work as well.

I sourced my filters from a non mercedes benz dealership they are mann filters exact same as the mercedes oem filters they just dont say mercedes on them... you can see the difference in the pictures.

I was going to go with K&N but since this is not my car I went with oem spec filters.

Pop your hood

Remove your intake tubes

Remove the front portion of the engine cover

Locate the metal latch at the back of the engine bay using a non marring pry tool remove the metal latch

There is a hose that is attached to the air box locate this and carefully remove it as well.

Next remove the engine air box by lifting on all 4 corners. It should come easy
    Last edited by AndrewC63; 08-24-2011 at 05:49 PM.

C63 - Obsidian Black Metallic, AMG Premium Leather, Multimeida Package, Harmond Kardon Logic7, P02 Premium package, Keyless Go, Kleemann DS-5 19", Vorstiner Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Brabus Carbon Fiber 3pcs Spoiler, Carbon Window Spoiler, Brabus S 18" Winters, Custom Obsidian Black Interior and Chrome Delete, AFE Dryflow S, 2011+ Facelift Euro Spec Mirrors, 2010+ Backup Camera Retrofit.

Das bonnet ist nicht für die gefingerpoken!

Default Re: R171 Slk280 Air Filter Change

Next put a towel or cardboard down and you will need a 25 torex screwdriver to access the air filters

This is what it will look like disassembled

Clean out your air boxes... mine are pretty clean because I did this two weeks ago... its still suprising to see that there is fresh sand in the air box.

Install your new filters, right is clean and new, left is old and dirty, when looking at the old filter on its own it doesnt look that bad when you compare it to a new one it looks bad.

Put everything back together in the reverse order.

If you go to the dealership and pay big bucks for mercedes filters this is the only difference.
    Mercedes filters say mercedes on them...

Mann filters are the same filters sport the same mann parts number is the mercedes filters but just dont say mercedes on them... I am guessing these two shipped to my door cost what one mercedes filter would.
    Last edited by AndrewC63; 08-24-2011 at 07:35 PM.

C63 - Obsidian Black Metallic, AMG Premium Leather, Multimeida Package, Harmond Kardon Logic7, P02 Premium package, Keyless Go, Kleemann DS-5 19", Vorstiner Carbon Fiber Diffuser, Brabus Carbon Fiber 3pcs Spoiler, Carbon Window Spoiler, Brabus S 18" Winters, Custom Obsidian Black Interior and Chrome Delete, AFE Dryflow S, 2011+ Facelift Euro Spec Mirrors, 2010+ Backup Camera Retrofit.

Thanks for the instructions. I got a pair of Mann filters on Amazon for under $30 and installed them in under 30 minutes. Saved a bundle.
    Last edited by scubafc; 05-01-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: left out the price

Your welcome

Thread Information